Posts for category: Foot Care
- Take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication to help with pain and swelling
- Ice the bunion for 15-20 minutes at a time, several times a day to also alleviate pain and swelling (conversely, you may choose to soak your bunion in warm water to ease symptoms)
- Consider getting prescription orthotics (shoe inserts) to place within your shoes to take the pressure off the deformed joint and to reduce pain with walking or standing
- Wear a night splint, which will straighten out the big toe while you sleep to reduce morning pain and stiffness
- Only wear shoes that have a wide toe box that doesn’t put pressure on the bunion. Avoid high heels and shoes with pointed toes.
- Perform stretching exercises every day to alleviate stiffness and to improve mobility and range of motion within the feet
- Apply a non-medicated pad over the bunion before putting on shoes to prevent friction and the formation of a callus
Should I consider bunion surgery?
Worried that you might be dealing with a bunion? Experiencing regular bunion pain? If so, a foot and ankle professional can assess the problem and provide you with a customized treatment plan to help you get your bunion pain under control.
- Ingrown toenails
- Chronic heel pain
- A broken foot or ankle
- Numbness, tingling or loss of sensation in the feet
- Severe pain
- Difficulty bearing weight on a foot or ankle
- A visible foot deformity
- Signs of infection (e.g. redness; swelling; fever)
- An ulcer or open wound
How orthotics from your podiatrist in Wilmette, Illinois can help your feet.
Do your feet hurt? If so, you are not alone. Foot pain is a common problem, and it can be caused by several issues. Medical problems, including diabetes, can compromise your feet. Excessive foot stress from playing sports can hurt your feet too. Even walking incorrectly for a long period of time can cause problems.
The good news is, custom-made orthotics can help you and your feet feel better. Dr. Gary Rogers at Wilmette Foot and Ankle Clinic in Wilmette, Illinois, offers a wide range of foot care services, including orthotics, to help your feet.
If you’ve tried orthotics from the store, the truth is, you and your feet deserve better. Custom-made orthotics are created uniquely, just for your feet. Using precise measurements, impressions, and casting, orthotics from your podiatrist can truly help eliminate foot pain.
Orthotics come in three main varieties:
Soft orthotics, which act as shock absorbers and relieve foot pressure; they are an excellent solution for diabetic or arthritic foot problems. They are made from cushioned materials and cover the entire sole of your foot.
Semi-rigid orthotics, which improve balance; they are a great choice for playing sports and are also used to treat flatfoot in children. They are made of layers of both cushioned and rigid materials.
Rigid orthotics, which limit the motion of joints in your foot; these are perfect for relieving strained tendons and aching muscles. They are created from hard plastic materials and should be worn when you are walking or wearing dress shoes.
Don’t let foot pain keep you from enjoying your life. You and your feet deserve to be comfortable, and custom-made orthotics can help. To find out more about orthotics and other foot care services, call Dr. Gary Rogers of Wilmette Foot and Ankle Clinic in Wilmette, Illinois, part of the North Shore University Health System at (847) 256-4434. Call today and treat your feet.