Need help with your pain from your Wilmette, IL, podiatrist?
The pain you feel may be caused by the inflammation of a connective tissue known as plantar fasciitis. This connective tissue isn't just in your heel though, it extends past the arch of your foot, reaching your toes. Your North Shore foot and ankle specialist, Dr. Gary Rogers, has the expertise to provide you and others with the necessary information to cope and treat pain. Read below to learn more and contact your Wilmette foot and ankle specialist for treatment!
More about Pain
Plantar fasciitis is a common cause of heel pain, sometimes being referred to as heel spur syndrome when there is an accompanying spur. Other causes of heel pain include stress fractures, tendonitis, arthritis, and/or nerve irritation.
In many cases, pain manifests itself in different parts of the foot and worsens over the course of a few months. The causes of pain vary from one person to another.
Causes of foot paint include wearing poorly fitted or worn down footwear, problems with foot arches (flat or high-arched feet), injuries, such as bruises, incurred during both light and intense activities such as walking, running, excessive jumping, or jumping on hard surfaces, and being overweight.
- Taking anti-inflammatory medications
- Wearing shoe modifications
- Undergoing Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy
- Performing stretching exercises
- Avoiding going barefoot
- Limiting activities
If you still have pain, see your podiatrist, who may take one of the following approaches:
- Padding and strapping: Pads that soften the impact of walking when inserted in the shoe.
- Injection therapy: Corticosteroid injections that help reduce the inflammation and relieve pain.
- Night splint: A night splint that helps extend and stretch the plantar fascia while sleeping.
- Physical therapy: Exercises that help provide relief.
- Orthotic devices: Custom devices that correct structural abnormalities.
If you have any questions or concerns, please consult your North Shore foot and ankle specialist in Wilmette, IL, today!